Particle is the most widely-used Internet of Things (IoT) platform. We’ve built the largest community of developers and engineers in the industry, and we’ve shipped more than hundreds of thousands of development kits to 170 countries. Hundreds of IoT products, from air conditioners to heavy equipment, are being built on Particle’s platform. We are committed to making it easy for anyone to get their products online, and we support product creators of any size — from Fortune 500s to blossoming entrepreneurs.
People at Particle
Investment in our people is critical to who we are as a company. From extensive onboarding, to 360 feedback, to your very own Culture Ambassador, you’ll have the tools to navigate your own success from the start. From there, you’ll work with your manager to create your own growth path and get the coaching needed to achieve it.
Our people get:
- Competitive health, dental, and vision benefits
- Stock options
- Flexible and open vacation policy
- Commuter allowances
- Generous parental leave policy
Particle is hiring an experienced Systems Software Engineering Manager to manage the team of engineers that builds our open source Device OS (FreeRTOS-based system that powers hardware products) and ensures that our devices securely and reliably connect to our Device Cloud.
Our embedded software stack is central to the value the Particle platform brings to their customers. It provides a real-time OS environment, complete with over-the-air (OTA) update support, a rich set of APIs for customer firmware to manage things like multithreading and low power states, and includes full connectivity support. You will work closely with your team, with a dedicated product manager, and with technical stakeholders throughout the company to ensure that our Device OS meets the needs and demands of our customers and of our broader IoT platform.
In this role, your primary responsibilities can be broken out into four main categories:
- Technical leadership. You will lead your team in architecting and developing a highly-reliable embedded software stack. You will bring your years of experience leading System SW to support the technical leads and help the team make the right architectural decisions and tradeoffs and effectively scope and prioritize their work. You’ll assist the team members with their technical growth. You will develop and facilitate solutions to complex technical challenges and trade-offs, and become an expert in Particle’s tech stack, rolling up your sleeves with the team in code reviews and hands-on mentorship as needed.
- Management and professional development. You will set goals and priorities for the individual members of your team, hold and document weekly video chat one-on-one meetings with your direct reports, quickly identify and remove blockers for members of your team, hire and onboard new members of your team, provide candid, growth-oriented feedback and manage the performance of your direct reports, and ensure that your team is recognized and appreciated for their great work. You will empower your team to maximize their full potential.
- Release planning. Device OS is released to customers on a regular basis. You will work with the Product Management team and engineers to plan which features and bug fixes will go into specific releases, coordinate validation testing before releases and communicate changes to sales and marketing teams. You’ll create space for team investments into continual process and infrastructure improvements to drive high-quality, reliable releases.
- Cross-functional collaboration. You will partner with Product Management to define and drive the Engineering roadmap to match our customers’ needs of our product, with our sales and support teams to incorporate feedback directly from customers and set up sales for success, and with other engineer leaders and the broader engineering team to collaborate on delivering complex cross-functional features. You will guide R&D efforts to explore and de-risk new features and technology.
You should have:
- 3-5 years experience managing engineers
- Technical expertise in system software and embedded software development in C++, over-the-air updates, HW validation, embedded security and wireless communication.
- Knowledge of both high and low-level communication protocols, from I2C and SPI to CAN and TCP/IP Protocols.
- Experience with hardware/software integration and real time operating systems (RTOS)
- Experience with version control/Code-Review tools like Git, Gerrit, GitHub, etc.
- Experience with build process development/maintenance (make, cmake), scripting (python, etc.)
- Phenomenal communication skills, both written and verbal
- Significant experience with remote work, demonstrating effectiveness managing a distributed team.
Nice to have:
- 5+ years experience managing engineers
- Experience setting up and/or maintaining automated build systems and Continuous Integration (CI).
- Familiarity with embedded software development tools and concepts like cross-compilers and tool chains.
- Experience developing RTOS implementations (FreeRTOS, SafeRTOS, QNX, AUTOSAR, etc.).
- Experience in IoT and with battery-powered wirelessly-connected embedded devices
- Familiarity with ARM M-series processors, ST Micro or Nordic microcontrollers
- Experience working with cellular networks and modems
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer Science or a related field
We are inspired by our mission of enabling the next technological revolution, and by the incredible products that people build on our platform, especially those with a positive social impact in the Particle for Good program. We also support each other and our community by embracing our core values of caring, curiosity, openness, trust, and joy.
Everyone is welcome at Particle. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace, and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.