Particle is the most widely-used Internet of Things (IoT) platform. We’ve built the largest community of developers and engineers in the industry, and we’ve shipped more than hundreds of thousands of development kits to 170 countries. Hundreds of IoT products, from air conditioners to heavy equipment, are being built on Particle’s platform. We are committed to making it easy for anyone to get their products online, and we support product creators of any size — from Fortune 500s to blossoming entrepreneurs.
People at Particle
Investment in our people is critical to who we are as a company. From extensive onboarding, to 360 feedback, to your very own Culture Ambassador, you’ll have the tools to navigate your own success from the start. From there, you’ll work with your manager to create your own growth path and get the coaching needed to achieve it.
Our people get:
- Competitive health, dental, and vision benefits
- Stock options
- Flexible and open vacation policy
- Commuter allowances
- Generous parental leave policy
Particle is hiring an experienced Vice President of Engineering to lead and scale our multidisciplinary (front-end, API, cloud infrastructure, SRE, embedded software, hardware design and NPI, and QA) engineering team. You will own the entire scope of our edge-to-cloud IoT platform and be responsible for delivering on an innovative product roadmap, ensuring that our platform is easy-to-use, professional, extensible, and battle-tested, and building and growing a world-class team of engineering talent.
- Drive strategic decisions related to our product. You will be a member of our executive leadership team, reporting to the CEO, and will be responsible for all major technical decisions and will collaborate with the CEO and Head of Product on our product vision and product roadmap. You will have a great deal of influence on the overall direction of the company, as well as its strategy and vision.
- Deliver on our product vision. You will be responsible for ensuring that our product vision is realized through excellence in execution, and enable the engineering team to deliver outstanding value to the business and to our customers. You will ensure that the engineering team can make excellent technical and architectural decisions with minimal bottlenecks, and define and establish development processes that deliver consistent results.
- Build a world-class team. You will recruit top-tier engineering talent with deliberate and effective hiring strategies and groom the engineering team through hands-on mentorship, well-defined career paths and growth opportunities. You will groom a culture of excellence, agility, collaboration, mentorship, and open feedback that aligns with Particle’s values of Caring, Curiosity, Openness, Joy, and Trust.
- Collaborate with other teams. You will work closely with Product to define an innovative but achievable product roadmap; with Customer Success, Sales, and Marketing to collect and incorporate feedback from customers and prospective customers; with People Ops and Finance to build a great team within financial constraints, and with Supply Chain to ensure that our products are easily manufactured and effectively delivered to market.
You should have:
- 10+ years of engineering leadership experience, with at least 5+ years leading a team engineers including managers and directors
- Experience working in a high-growth and fast-paced start-up
- Experience working with both software development and with hardware engineering
- Extremely strong verbal, visual, and written communication skills, with the ability to message appropriately to all levels of the organization and explain your approach clearly to non-technical stakeholders
- A track record of successful technical project leadership, solving complex technical challenges and keeping the team on task and on schedule
- The ability to think strategically and see the big picture, tying technical decisions and prioritization to business outcomes and customer success
- Proven recruiting experience hiring engineers, managers and directors
Nice to have:
- A technical degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Experience building complex IoT products
- Experience managing a distributed team
- Experience managing relationships key software and hardware vendors
We are inspired by our mission of enabling the next technological revolution, and by the incredible products that people build on our platform. We also support our Particle family and community by embracing our core values of caring, curiosity, openness, joy, and trust.
Everyone is welcome at Particle. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.