From interactive whiteboards to smart cards used to access physical spaces on school campuses, IoT in education is disrupting traditional learning in more ways than we can imagine and will continue to do so in the coming years.
Here are the top 3 ways IoT is revolutionizing education.
1. Increased Student Engagement
Studies have shown that students learn better when only 20% of the content is hard, new material while the other 80% relies on knowledge they already have. However, part of the problem teachers face when designing their lesson plans is that they can’t definitively know what their students already learned or how quickly they are picking up on the new material. Using continuous data collection from IoT systems, teachers can see when their students are paying attention and moving along in the curriculum and when they have stalled out. AI Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs) can be used to identify and classify students’ facial expressions so that teachers can be alerted when a student has lost interest in a Zoom breakout room or in a large lecture hall. If a student has lost focus, teachers can use smart whiteboards or other presentation tools to see exactly where in the lesson their students are stuck.
2. Tailored, Student-Centered Curriculums
Personalized education is becoming more widespread since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, with people realizing that a traditional “one size” education model does not fit all. Teachers can use data from IoT sensors to plan relevant lessons around individual student needs as opposed to possibly-irrelevant, whole-class content. One way to do this is by using smart educational robots that personalize curriculum content and pace based on student accuracy when answering questions. Using IoT in education to create student-centered curriculums allows teachers to have deeper insights into what’s working and what isn’t working in the classroom so that they can make their teaching even more exceptional.
3. Immersive Language Learning Experiences
Learning a second or even a third language is becoming commonplace in many schools, but the process, whether it be through a course or an app, can seem daunting. Instead of fumbling their way through online courses and “realistic” speaking websites, students can use VR goggles and become immersed in the world of the language they are learning. VR goggles allow students to interact with animated figures and speak in the target language. Students can also virtually travel to countries where the language they are learning is the dominant language and be immersed in the culture of that country.
As our world advances, it’s important for us to educate students using the most personalized and relevant approaches available. IoT in education can help us do just that.